17+ Coding Project ideas for elementary students – Guest Post by Anamika Thalia, Hartford CT
The 17+ Coding Project ideas for elementary students is something all STEM curious kids should explore. Young age is the best time to teach coding. It is the age when children can grasp things faster. Coding comprises a major part of STEM learning. A sudden introduction to coding might be difficult for kids. So, I wanted some easy ways for it. I had no clue about programming. But I wanted my son to develop logic behind it.
Coding Project ideas for elementary students will be helpful for every parent. Even if you don’t have a coding background, you can teach your kids.
Coding Project ideas for elementary students
- Waving snowman-This can be developed by Java script. Khan Academy website let middle schoolers learn this concept. Teaching is done in a very easy manner. Unlike the complex coding, kids learn to code by observing visuals.
- Make GIF-Almost every child knows of GIFs. Learning to make one will excite them. Students learn to create GIFs from online coding platforms.
- Digital arts-Kids can use mathematical shapes to make a design. The code. org allows them to do so. The tools let them use the shapes creatively.
- Build Star wars galaxy-Not Only kids develop code, but they play with it. Kids make mistakes and learn from them. This makes them think. In this manner, children develop thinking skills. Children can use the code. org from this project.
- Creating Lightbot-Children learn to develop a code for Lightbot. It is a way to send instructions to the computer. The computer then responds to it. Children learn it through block coding. It means using pre-defined codes.
- Creating beats-Children learn to make their own music. Preschool and middle school children can learn it using block coding. It also let them learn about different programming languages.
- Creating 3D models-3D models like solar systems and cars can be created using coding. The blocks of code make it simpler for kids. They get the output as a 3D model that moves. Such results encourage kids to code more.
- Developing an animated story– The google CS first has introduced coding for kids. It best suits kids of middle school.
- Creating video games-This can be ideal for adults and kids in middle school. IT will introduce them to the HTML language.
- While/do in the backyard– It is like the if/then concept in coding. Children learn the conditionals from this activity. One person plays the computer and the other plays the programmer. The programmers make some conditions. The computer responds only when it is fulfilled.
- Code your name in beads– It teaches kids about the binary 0’s and 1’s. Choose some colored beads and mark them with alphabets. Every alphabet should have a 0 or 1 in it. Ask your child to arrange it in sequence.
- Coded scavenger hunts– Let kids play it around. Coding and decoding both are important for a coder. Prepare code cards for your kids. Prepare several cards with each one having a math problem. For every problem they solve, they get the clue to a hidden place. These are the places where you have hidden the treats.
- Minesweeper maze-The solitaire game is best for kids. It teaches them logic and process. Children learn skills at an early age.
- Hungry coding caterpillar-The activity involves guiding the caterpillars towards their food. Children need to do so by placing arrows. Children get to know about directions. The caterpillars are the cardboard cut-outs. Parents can plan for kids.
- Solving a maze-It is a great activity for kids. It develops resilience in them. Children need to chase a maze in this game. If they go in the wrong way, then they need to go back and find another path.
- Puzzles-There are a lot of puzzles that involve strategic thinking. When kids solve such puzzles, they develop thinking skills. You can buy some puzzle game for your kids. Developing logic will help kids in learning to code. Kids also learn problem-solving skills from this.
- Building blocks-Let your kids build something creative with blocks. Creative minds can learn to code faster. Children will think logically about making the next move.
- Math games-Math games are the best source of logic development. Let kids solve math puzzles. Coding involves mathematical logic.
- Preschoolers coding-Preschool kids should learn to observe. The path they take to school can teach them looping in coding. Small observations of daily life will help them understand coding.
All the coding ideas are super safe to try at home. Try them to accelerate the journey of the kids through the coding world. You can also select one of the 37+ coding courses that can help accelerate the journey.