18 Science & math apps that every elementary school student should try once – Guest post by Jessica Brown, New York, NY
18 Science & math apps that every elementary school student should try once – the ideas will flood their minds. The era demands the best utilization of science and technology. I wanted my son to learn science in the best way possible. For teaching science to students, there are many things. For example, biology. Astronomy Technology. Oceans. And much more. It is not possible to make our child proficient in all these areas. But with smart teaching ideas, kids can learn the basics of all. Starting with basic can let kids get a background of all the fields. I was not sure how to teach until I came to know about these apps. The apps are based on math and science background. My son spends a lot of time on the mobile. This makes him learn about technology. But I don’t find it an educational way of learning. Excessive use of gadgets does not promote a healthy learning way. Hence, we must not allow our kids to spend too much time on these. Rather, we should install some useful apps on the device. We should teach our children the art of science through the app.
Luckily, you need not be an expert in these areas. The apps have made learning fun for children. These apps are very easy to use. Proper engineering of apps has ensured effective learning for children. I suggest you try out the following apps for your children.
Best Science and Math Apps for Children
- Solar walk– Kids can explore the solar system with this app. What children mostly know is the eight planets of the solar system. But there are other elements that kids miss out on. The School does not elaborate much on the solar system and galaxy. This app serves the best learning in this area. It has the following features:
- Movies about the earth
- Bird’s view of the galaxy
- 3D images of the galaxy
This app best suits kids of age 2 years and up. You can download it on the iPad and iPhone.
- Happy little farmer– Teach your kids not just the plant names but the life cycle. Children learn the process that happens within a plant. Let kids learn about the stem and the root without a mess. The app offers:
- The concept of fertilization
- Water content for different plant species
- How to grow plants
- Different seeds for different plants
Other than these children learn three basic scenarios. They are growing plants in a veggie patch, fruit pot, and wheat field. Additional rhymes for nursery grade make it more fun.
- Kids weather– A 6-year-old boy created this app. His dad was a meteorologist who aimed at teaching kids about weather. He, together with his kid, developed the app. The app aims to teach kids the basic weather elements. Here is a list of what kids can learn from this app.
- To calculate the temperature in Fahrenheit and Celsius
- The weather-related Terms
- Difference between weather and climate
- Safety-related to clouds and seasons
- Weather symbols and lightening
You can download the app in the iTunes and Android markets. The app can make it a game environment for kids. Kids can choose a particular day and time. The app gives them the weather info.
- Alchemy genetics– Children learn about genetics and heredity. Let your kid get the best knowledge of traits. They come to know about mixed traits. The following kids will come to know:
- The results of two different breeds
- Mixing two breeds
- Starting with 4 species and ending with 500
Children learn these concepts by playing games. Apps also let kids play games to ensure effective learning.
- Leo’s pad-The Stanford University of Education designed this. The aim of the app was to include informative games. The app is free to download and play. It suits well for kids of all ages. The concept of the app is to teach elementary kids about scientists. Parents must encourage kids to learn about the inventions of scientists. Children learn about scientists through a fun storyline. Students also learn the adventures of these scientists.
- iTooch elementary school– The app is a combination of activities from math, science and general knowledge. All the activities are content-specific. Children get the taste of good and essential concepts through it. Some activities are language-based. The app teaches kids the concepts of various topics.
- Science bear– The app provides essential concepts of the science branches. These include physics, maths, chemistry, and biology. Additional in-depth concepts include density, atoms, periodic table, forces, liquids and more. The app suits best for children aged 10 years and more. It also has links to 200 and more videos. The videos make it simpler for kids to visualize the concepts.
- Curiosity machine– The app comes with exciting experiments for kids. Kids can choose their favorite topics and the respective experiment. Performing such a task enhances the skills of students. It encourages curiosity and logical thinking in students. Students develop a love for the subject they choose. Using this learning technique, they get a taste of all the areas of the subject. The app is available for both Android and ios devices. The app has a free as well as a paid option.
- Science glossary-Get meanings of short and scientific terms. Kids learn more about early concepts. They also learn about numbers. The app is almost similar to a knowledge book.
- Brain pop featured movie– Parents can engage their kids with this app. The app now brings learning to your fingertips. It provides kids with animated movies for the iPhone, iPad, and iPod devices. Kids can have a great time watching the videos and learning simultaneously. The videos provide kids with informative content. Every day, the app uploads a new movie for kids. In the end, kids should attend a quiz.
Parents can engage their kids with these app-based activities at any time. You can enroll your kids in some academy. For instance, Khan Academy aims to provide free education. There are other online organizations that educate kids. Students must know the proper usage of computer programming and other areas of science. The listed apps above are some top-rated apps for kids learning. Kids not only learn the syllabus of schools but much more than that.
To make your kids fluent with numbers follow the below tips. These are the math apps to make kid’s number friendly. 18 Science & math apps that every elementary school student should try once – has math in its core. The math concepts have contributed to technology growth. Kids must know basic math concepts.
Math apps for kids
- Prodigy- It is a free fantasy-based math game. Most of the time, children fear maths. But the app makes it an interesting way to learn. Millions of students from over the world play this game. Other than the basic addition and multiplication, kids learn other topics. The game makes it an interactive environment for children. Children think of tactics to solve the game. The game includes:
- Content from different math topics
- Role-playing games such as pokemon
- Answering a set of questions
As a teacher or parent, you keep a track of your child’s progress. The app lets you do so easily.
- Doodle maths– The app is the best tutor for kids. The app measures the student’s weaknesses and strengths-based on their performance. The app records a student’s activity data. It then summarises the overall performance. This technique helps parents to know their kids better. Students can improve in their weak areas. The parent dashboard lets parents keep a complete track of student performance.
- Khan academy– The institute comprises a global classroom for students. Students learn the concepts from scratch. If you look back at the history of the institute, it is appealing. The classroom aims to introduce lifetime learning for students. From instructional videos to practice exercise, you will find useful resources here.
- Buzzmaths- It is a math resource for middle school children. It bases the learning on an adventurous storyline. Children learn various mathematical concepts hastily. In the gaming app, children need to travel through them. They meet mathematicians who have lost their information. Students must help them find their lost information. While finding the lost information, students learn mathematical concepts. The visuals help them remember it better.
- Rocket math– The gaming app includes levels. Children learn math through successive levels. If students answer a math question in 3 seconds, they launch a rocket. This idea develops curiosity and excitement in children. They not only learn but remember it better. They also learn to apply it in areas when required.
- Twelve a dozen– This is one of the best math games. Through the math app, kids need to solve puzzles to cross a level. It comes from the touch press games. The numeric hero named twelve makes a journey through the universe. She is on a mission to save her family from evil. Kids need to solve math puzzles to proceed.
- Motion math– The fun math game lets the student learn important math concepts. They get to learn:
- Number line
- Word problems
- Operations and more
Students learn these through visuals and games. Math learning is fun with such techniques. Teachers need to sign up and provide the access code to students.
- Math learning center– The math learning center is a collection of a few best apps. Here is a list of some of the best math apps:
- Number of frames
- Number racks
- Pattern shapes
- Partial product finder
- Money pieces
The above math apps introduce kids to digital learning. It falls in the category of best educational apps.
All the above apps serve as quality learning for kids. But it is not workable to let kids use all of them. If you cannot choose the best one, here is the solution.
- Figure out how many questions can your child answer per session.
- A teacher might choose apps based on assigning assessments or self- learning questions.
- Try to select an app with an adaptive atmosphere. If a teacher cannot assign the task, the app must provide quizzes to students.
- Conduct a diagnostic test in some math programs. This will generate data on your kid’s data. Based on it you can choose an appropriate app.
I have tried this method of teaching for my son. The results have impressed me. Today, my son can think effectively and solve problems. I hope the above apps help every student achieve quality learning. The apps make it easy for kids to visualize the concepts. Such programs help students understand even complex ideas. There are plenty of apps. But a parent must choose the best one. A great resource for the parents can be Edsurge, which tracks all recent edtech news. Again, it varies from student to student. 18 Science & math apps that every elementary school student should try once is not just a catch phrase, I suggest that all the parents try one of the above apps. Let your kids take it as a challenge. If your kids are creative they might also like Alexa skills. Winning words stories is an alexa skill where the kids can submit their stories and enjoy with their families and friends.