Before we discuss the 20 Life skills that they don’t teach kids at school, some background. The usual 4 hours of schooling concept never excited me. I wanted to make it skillful learning for my kid. School is important but still limits to the four walls. As a parent, it was my responsibility to plan effective teaching for my son. School serves best in providing academic skills. It was time that I teach my son life skills.
The 21st century demands a competitive mind. We must teach children the required skills from an early age. I was clueless about how to do so. However, the below-mentioned ideas saved me. I adopted the techniques and received worthy results. As parents, we must know the importance of skillful learning in children.
Barriers to learning in schools.
- Schools provide an education that is limited to the four walls. Students learn academic skills but not life skills. Introduction to skillful training in kids lets them explore ideas. It gives them an opportunity to identify their interests.
- Peers pressurize kids. Students choose a field based on the opinions of others. They realize this at a later stage. It leaves no scope of improvement then. Students then feel like starting from scratch, but it gets too late. This mostly happens when students are just left for schooling. As a result, they do not get skillful teaching.
- Some parents cannot afford high fees for schools. In such cases, skillful training is helpful. Economic crises should not hinder a kid’s learning. With skillful learning, students can learn life skills. They need not complete their schooling for it.
- Students learn to handle a real-life situations. They learn to come out of fiction in books. Kids also learn to address local community issues.
- Considering the population, skillful training is a must for young learners. It is important that parents teach them from an early age. It not only shapes the young mind but also the nation.
- After completing the graduation students still, find it difficult to have a job. This happens because of the lack of skills in them. Schooling rarely delivers skillful training to stude20 Life skills that they don’t teach kids at school.
20 Life skills that they don’t teach kids at school.
- Survival skills- Often Schooling misses out on the important lessons of life. Children learn lessons that are limited to the book. They know about fishes in the water. But they don’t know how to fish. They learn about the oceans and rivers. But they don’t know how to swim. Parents spend huge money on schooling for the academic. But do not teach kids’ life survival skills. Few questions that as a parent we need to ask ourselves.
- Does our child know how to use a first aid box?
- Can our children follow a GPS to find out a lost way?
- Does our kid know the correct use of technology?
- Can our children stop themselves from bleeding over a cut?
Children learn all of this in a school. But they do not apply in real life. We must ensure that kids know this basic application of life. Even when they are alone, they should know the survival ideas.
- Household maintenance-This may not be important initially but definitely later. After graduating from college, students might stay alone for work. What if they do not know the basic house repairing? It is not workable to call upon an expert always. Instead of relying on others, learning these skills can make life simpler.
- The basic cooking– It is important to learn to cook once the students finish elementary schooling. They must start from basics to advance by the time they reach college.
- Time management-Learning to stay organized is very important. Even in schools, students need to learn time management. At the time of maintaining a career, this skill will be helpful. Lack of proper management will cause workload and stress.
- The essence of failing- Children who always get appreciated for success do not get to learn something new. Parents and teachers must explain the art of failing to students. Rather than punishing, we must teach students the lessons learned from failing.
- Identifying the interests of life– Parents must ask questions to their children. These questions help children to know the purpose of life. Some questions can be
- How can you better embarrass yourself?
- How well can you be in saving the world?
- If someone threatens you at the gunpoint, what will you do?
- If you will die today, what will be your wish?
- What makes you forget about your best friends?
These are some strange questions you need to ask your child. To an extent, the questions will help your child know the purpose of their lives. Children grow up educated. But they remain clueless about their lives.
- Focus– According to a study, students can do multitasking. But it leaves no guarantee of the tasks done perfectly. Multitasking needs paying attention to all tasks simultaneously. To develop a focus on children, teachers must teach them to do a single task. Children develop listening skills and hence focus. This practice is better than multitasking.
- Coding- This is an important skill students must possess. The era of technology demands this skill in them. Understanding digital skills will be beneficial for kids. Not knowing how to code can be fatal. We stay amongst programmers. So it is important that our kids learn to code. Schools might provide coding as an optional subject. This might take away the opportunity from a few students. Authorities should make digital class compulsory in schools. However, we cannot guarantee this. So as parents, we must ensure digital learning for our kids.
- Emotional intelligence– We teach students about staying physically fit. But we often forget teaching them about mental fitness. There is an inner world within us. To raise healthier generations, we need to educate kids about mental health. Students must know how to manage anger. Anxiety. Stress. And depression. Failing which they can destroy their lives.
- Negotiation strengths– Unless kids take part in a debate, they never learn the power of negotiation. This quality will help students a lot. As a banker or a manager, they will need this skill.
- Communication skills– This is an essential quality. The world is slowly moving towards silent communication. For example, kids have engaged themselves in social sites. They communicate with people there. This kills the ability of children to communicate in real. Many times schools also do not teach this skill.
- Relationship counseling– Most of the things need training. For example, getting a driver’s license, counseling on breastfeeding and more. But the most important things lack counseling. Marriage and relationships which affect every sector of our lives remain uncounselled. Kids should learn this thing at home. Parents sometimes take it as an embarrassment. But it should be content for learning for kids.
- Financial management– It is a skill that everyone should know. We must provide kids with basic examples of this. Starting at an early age will be helpful in the long run. It is an art of budgeting things. Making proper financial decisions is very crucial. This area might need some expert guidance. Most parents are themselves not trained in this.
- Student loans– Most parents do not understand the concept of interest rates. They do not understand the concepts of student loans. This quality should not lack in kids. Hence, we must train kids on this from an early age. Basic examples will be a great start.
- Digital etiquette– It is important to teach kids technical etiquette. Kids must be fluent with gadgets but in a positive sense. Parents must fulfill the job of a teacher in this case. Kids spend time with gadgets but negatively. They can use the Internet positively. For example, kids can learn online coding.
- Public speaking– Getting command of the audience is very important. Unfortunately, schools do not provide this skill. A student can be a true leader only when he can inspire people with his talk. To master this skill, children need to address the audience.
- Leadership– Machines will control all the work. But to run the machine, you need labors. To keep the labors in proper sync, you need leadership quality. Even to run a business or organization, you need to have the skill. We must encourage children to volunteer for small projects. Consistent participation will develop the skill in them.
- Learning values- Schools today do not teach values to children. The culture has somewhere disappeared from kids. Children learn to adopt the western culture. They forget about their own values. Again the values that a student must possess for industry, lacks in them.
- Critical thinking- students pass out with a college degree but lack critical thinking. To be successful students need logical thinking. The mere syllabus of schooling does not provide this. Students don’t be to handle real-life situations. We should make it logical learning for our kids.
- Creative thinking– Creative thinking holds real value in life. Schools underrate this skill. Yet they consider it essential for survival. When kids face a challenging problem, that is when this skill applies.
Before we implement the 20 Life skills that they don’t teach kids at school for our kids, it is our duty to learn these skills first. I knew some ideas. But to teach my kid, I first learned them myself. I became confident in training my kid. I suggest all the parents make it learning for kids. Let them learn the real values of life. Here are some real life projects our students have done – showcase.