Ideas for holiday projects – Guest Post by Tonya Ray, San Francisco CA.
A school holiday means fun for children. They get freed from the studies for over a month. They get excited about many ideas. But isn’t it something that stays for a few days? A week later, children might feel bored. They might even get restless. I never wanted this thing to happen with my son. I felt that creative learning should not stop. Children might get a break from academics, but not learning. I wanted to make the holidays a learning environment for my son. I could have engaged him with many activities. However, proper planning and creative ideas are important. It is important that we make the school holidays an ideal one. When children attend the class after the holidays, they should feel refreshed. Letting kids do nothing will kill their imagination! They might lose the potential to develop ideas.
Ideas for holiday projects – As a parent, we must know how important school holiday projects are.
Importance of school holiday projects
- Rejuvenation-Nowadays kids get pressurized with academic work. They do not get to learn the real lessons of life. The holiday is an opportunity to do so. Kids along with their parents can free the mind from stress. It is the time parents make it easy and creative for their kids. Holiday activities perform better over holiday homework. Children can learn a craft, art, and much more with the projects.
- Understanding a child’s pursuit– These project ideas develop imagination skills in a child. It helps a parent to understand a child’s aspirations. Such assignments give a direction to a child’s thinking. Children get prepared for the competitive world. They become physically and mentally fit.
- Creates a healthy environment– The project-based activities creates a healthy environment for kids. Rather than the usual holiday homework, projects make it creative. Kids learn to create ideas for solving problems. They change their perspective on life. Kids also learn to shape their personalities with these.
Ideas for holiday projects – The concept of holiday homework does not help in the long run. As parents, we must make it great for our kids. They should learn for knowledge and not marks. Qualitative teaching is what we must provide to our kids. Starting with one great idea can let students think logically. Below is a list of ideas for project-based activities.
Ten ideas on holiday activities
- Making Terrarium-It involves gardening activities. Whatever be the weather, children can always take up this activity. Give an idea of the terrarium to kids. Show them how it looks from the picture on the Internet. Encourage them to draw their own terrarium. You can help them with deciding things further. For example, you can tell them if the terrarium should have ferns or mosses. Assist your kid with the shopping. Ask them to shop for gravel, charcoal, soil, and plants. Let them tell you the use of each of these. You can help them with this later. Take your kids for a nature walk. It is important for them to observe the world around them. You can search for decorative items like shells, colored stones, and more. This can decorate the terrarium. You and your kids can together make it great learning.
- Cubby house construction- This project suits all ages. You can make the project a simple one or an advanced one. Taking out kids in an open space or garden will be the best idea. Let kids get creative with scrap tools and crafts. Even fallen branches and wood will help in making a simple house. Let your kids think of ways to build one. Another way could be to show them pictures. Once they get an idea, let them build their own. Encourage your kids to build an indoor house. Ask them to think about the required resources. For decoration, you can ask your kids to paint the house. Flowers can also be a great idea. Hang the house and appreciate them finally.
- Puppet: This activity involves old socks and crafts ideas. Some glue and wool would make the finishing touch. With these resources ask your kids to make creative puppets. We can apply the Christmas theme here. Children can choose the theme according to them. Ask them to make some different creatures. For example, Red Riding Hood and some monsters will be much interesting. After creating a puppet, you need theatre. Find out some old boxes. Cut them open. Let kids do the remaining task. You might assist them in between. Finally, let your kids paint it attractive. Encourage kids to write scripts for the play. Kids can also spice it up. They can add glitters, colors and fairy lights in the stage.
Ideas for holiday projects – The best way to appreciate their performance is to watch the show. Sit together with your family and praise your kid.
- Family tree– It is important that kids know about their families. The Family tree is a great idea to let kids learn about their family history. Collect some craft papers and a large sheet of white paper. Trace the shape of a tree trunk to make it easy for them. Every branch of the tree should contain a member’s photo. Let your kids fill that. To make it interesting, ask kids to draw the member. They can do so with a craft pencil or crayons. Let the art come out of your child. This activity will show how creative your kid is. Children also learn about their family history. For kids under age 12 years, a family tree can be an advanced activity. They can learn about their forefathers.
- Holiday diary– Make a holiday diary. Ask your kids to fill it with everyday activities. This will help them in keeping a track of progress. At the end of the holiday, they can check the activities performed. Their activities can be drawings. Crafts. DIY ideas. Adventure ideas. And other art. Encourage them to make a collection. It can be a collection of tickets or pens. These activities will keep children busy with something productive.
- Eggshell painting– This is another DIY idea for kids. When you boil the egg, keep its shell aside for your kids. Insert some cotton within it. Let your kids paint it. They can turn it to some monster head or paint it simple. You can collect some plant seeds and sprinkle on the egg carton. When the seeds grow in the soil, use them as hairs of egg characters. Help your kids with this perfect idea. See that they plan it and you assist them.
- Fun fort– Let your kids make a fun fort. This will include simple craft ideas. But kids will need a creative mind to build the fort. Make it easy for them by providing the materials. Materials can include cardboard, tubes, towels, tapes, and flag. Let your kid decide how to arrange them in order. Finally, ask them to paint and decorate it. Enjoy the beautiful castle made by your kid. See your kid using the themes beautifully.
- Tree trunk games– If you have trees in your backyard, let kids make new ideas from it. If it has a hollow trunk, then kids can create a magical castle in it. Let kids develop imagination skills from fiction. Make a small door for the hole. Let kids show some art. They can paint it beautifully. While kids get entertained, they also learn creativity.
- Literature– This activity will improve the writing skills of children. Ask your kid to write on some topic. You can provide them with some situations. Let them write on that. Collect a bunch of topics for them. Let them write an article on each of the topics.
- Collage making– Though it may sound basic, it needs a creative mind. This time, do not make it just a paper collage. Ask your kids to collect fallen leaves, flower petals, and papers to make a collage. Let them do the art on cardboard. Appreciate their work at the end. Ask them to be better next time.
Ideas for holiday projects – All the above activities are a list of ideas that you can take for your kids. Let the day be productive for kids. As a parent, we also need to be great teachers. I have tried these activities with my son. Results are worth the time and resources. Crafting ideas for kindergarten is a good start. For elementary kids, building up models develops creativity. Though the activities are creative, children also learn the tactics to do them. When you spend quality time with kids, they become sharp.
Reasons why activities are better than holiday homework
- Obsolete – Students are learning in the 21st century. This is an era of competition. Students need to be at par with other children. Rather than assigning homework, schools should create true learning in children. Children see homework as a formality and not learning. This era demands knowledge of the computer. Elementary school students can engage in coding activities. Kids need to be sharp today. The above project ideas can bring this. The consistent practice of the projects will make kid confident. With this, they will address issues of their community in the future.
- Counterproductive- A study has found that excessive homework is counterproductive. Kids might end up wasting their holidays on homework. This will not develop any skills in them. Performing the projects can build up tactics in kids. According to researchers in Duke, countries perform better when assigned project-based tasks to kids. Teachers need the training to assign quality tasks to kids.
- Kids should not lose the essence of a kid– Work and no play makes kids dull. Kids lose the essence of childhood. They get loaded with piles of homework. The project-based ideas make the summer holiday fun for kids. They don’t stop learning with these. Kids play and develop skills in them. This way they enjoy childhood and learn effectively. Kids should practice such fun-based activities on a large scale. It builds creativity, skill, and tactics in kids. They learn to view things differently. Mere holiday homework is not efficient.
Ideas for holiday projects – As parents, we should ensure optimal learning of our kids. We should pack summer with fun for them. This is the right age when kids learn. We should pack them with interesting projects. Kids should be able to deliver quality service. Only such projects have the power to make them capable. The 21st century demands quality. Effective classroom ideas can serve the purpose. I have adopted the ideas for my son. I hope it helps all the readers.